Apr 22, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog 

Costs & Financial Aid

Costs for Attendance

Tuition and Fees

Students who enroll in curriculum classes are subject to tuition and fees which are due and payable at the time of registration. Student tuition and fees included in this catalog are determined each year by the North Carolina Board of Community Colleges and the General Assembly. Rates and fees are subject to change.

Curriculum Tuition

Residency Status for Tuition

North Carolina residents are eligible for a lower tuition rate than non-residents. The controlling North Carolina statute (G.S. 116-143.1) states that “to qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must have established legal residence (domicile) in North Carolina for at least twelve (12) months immediately prior to his or her classification as a resident for tuition purposes. Every applicant for admission shall be required to make a statement as to his or her length of residence in the State.”

Regulations concerning classifying students by residence for tuition purposes are outlined in detail in A Manual to Assist the Public of Higher Educational Institutions of North Carolina in the Matter of Student Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes. The manual is available on request in the office of the Vice President of Student Services.

All new students applying for admission must respond on their respective applications to certain questions which are related to residence classification. The Dean of Enrollment Management is responsible for evaluating these responses and initially classifying students accordingly. For questions concerning residence status and appeals of initial residence classifications, students are advised to consult the Vice President of Student Services.

Military personnel stationed and living in North Carolina and their dependents are eligible for in-state tuition after proper documentation is received.

In-State Tuition

Students who are classified as in-state residents must have established a legal residence in North Carolina for 12 consecutive months before the date of enrollment. Tuition is $76.00 per credit hour for in-state students. The maximum tuition for in-state students for a semester is $1216.00.

Out-of-State Tuition

Tuition is $268.00 per credit hour for out-of-state students. The maximum tuition for out-of-state students for a semester is $4288.00.

Return to Top of Page

Curriculum Fees

Student Activity

The Student Activity fee is $1.00 per semester hour of credit. The maximum Student Activity fee per semester is $16.00 for up to 16 or more credit hours for in-state and out-of-state students.

Computer Use and Technology

The Computer Use and Technology fee is $1.00 per semester hour of credit. The maximum Computer Use and Technology fee per semester is $12.00 for up to 12 or more credit hours for in-state and out-of-state students.

Campus Access, Parking, and Security

The Campus Access, Parking, and Security fee is $2.00 per semester hour of credit. The maximum Campus Access, Parking, and Security fee per semester is $12.00 for up to 12 or more credit hours for in-state and out-of-state students.

Books and Supplies

The cost of books and supplies varies according to the course of study.

Student Success Fee

The Student Success fee is $5.00 per semester. This fee is used for graduation and student-related costs such as diplomas, diploma covers, student cap and gown, ceremony costs, pre- and post-ceremony receptions, rehearsal, and other related costs. 

Student Accident Insurance

ECC assumes no responsibility for student injuries or losses. An opportunity is provided at the time of registration for all students to obtain accident insurance. Though not required, the college strongly recommends that students who enroll in occupational programs or who plan to take physical education activity courses purchase accident insurance. This coverage is available at the cost of $6.00 per year.

Allied Health Fee

The Allied Health fee is $30.00 per semester.

Malpractice Insurance

All students enrolling in programs where they will work with the public are required to have malpractice insurance. These programs include but are not limited to, Barbering, Cosmetology, Esthetics, and all health science programs containing clinical courses. Malpractice Insurance is $8.50 per semester. The malpractice insurance fee is attached to specific courses requiring malpractice insurance.

Vaccines, Checks, and Screens

All persons who enroll in any ECC program in which they could be exposed to bloodborne pathogens are recommended to receive the Hepatitis B vaccination series at their own expense before participating in clinical or similar training. Health science students will also be required to have a criminal background check and drug screen before clinical rotations.

All costs associated with criminal background checks and drug screens are the responsibility of the student. ECC recognizes and is fully supportive of the clinical agencies that choose to require criminal background checks and drug screens on students.

ECC has contracted with Castle Branch, Inc. to perform background checks and drug screens at a reduced rate for students. Results of the tests are available to the student and the Human Resources Director of the clinical agency at Certifiedbackground.com. Once students receive a letter of acceptance to a health science program, they should follow the instructions provided to obtain required checks and screens. Most clinical agencies will not accept hand-delivered background check and drug screening results.

Return to Top of Page

Tuition Refunds

Unless otherwise required by law, Edgecombe Community College will not issue a tuition refund except under the following circumstances:

  1. A 100 percent refund of tuition and fees is made if the student officially withdraws, or is officially withdrawn by the college, before the first day of the academic period as noted in the college calendar. Also, a student is eligible for a 100 percent refund of tuition and fees if the class in which the student is officially registered is canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
  2. A 75 percent refund of tuition shall be made if the student officially withdraws from the class(es) before or on the official 10 percent point of the academic period.
  3. For classes beginning at times other than the first week of the semester, a 100 percent refund of tuition and fees is made if the student officially withdraws from the class before the first day of the course section. A 75 percent refund of tuition is made if the student officially withdraws from the class before or on the 10 percent point of the course section.
  4. A full refund of tuition and fees is granted to military reserve, and National Guard personnel called to active duty or active duty personnel who have received temporary or permanent reassignments as a result of military operations then taking place outside the state of North Carolina, thus making it impossible for them to complete their course requirements. The college will use distance learning technologies and other educational methodologies to help these students, under the guidance of faculty and administrative staff, complete their course requirements.
  5. To comply with applicable federal regulations regarding refunds, federal regulations supersede the state refund regulations stated in this rule.

Return to Top of Page

Financial Aid

The philosophy at ECC is that any individual who wishes to attend the institution should not be deprived of this privilege because of a lack of financial resources. Although the primary responsibility for financing an education remains with students and their families, the college participates in programs designed to supplement the family contribution when there is documented student financial need. Students who have completed the financial aid application procedure are considered for all types of financial aid without regard to their sex, race, color, disability, or national origin. In all financial aid awards, students have the right to accept or decline any aid they have been offered.

Student Responsibilities

To receive Federal Title IV assistance and state assistance, a student must:

  • Demonstrate financial need through the completion of the FAFSA.
  • Have a valid high school diploma or a High School Equivalency certificate on file with the college. (See NOTE below.)
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program of study at ECC.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Certify that he or she is not in default on a federal student loan and does not owe money on any federal aid.
  • Not have been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid.
  • Register with Selective Service, if required.

NOTE: Students with a high school diploma determined to be invalid are not eligible for financial aid. A diploma will be deemed invalid if there is a reason to believe that limited coursework was required to complete the diploma or that a fee was charged by the agency that issued the diploma. Students with an invalid diploma may establish eligibility for financial aid as outlined below. “Enrollment” as used below is defined as officially registered and attending classes.

How to Apply

To apply for financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov.The FAFSA should be completed as soon as possible on or after October 1 for the upcoming academic year. If you prefer not to complete the application online, you may complete the FAFSA in PDF format and mail it to the processing center, or request a paper FAFSA by calling the Central Processing Center at 1-800-433-3243. If you are hearing impaired, you may contact the TTY line at 1-800-730-8913.

Students can get assistance filling out the FAFSA by visiting the Office of Financial Aid and the Student Success Centers on both Tarboro (McIntyre Building) and Rocky Mount (Barnes Building) campuses. 

 To be eligible for financial aid, students must:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov;
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen;
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program of study at ECC;
  • Not be in default on a Federal Student Loan or owe a refund on any Title IV grant at any educational institution.

Financial aid is determined each academic year, so a new FAFSA must be filled out every year.

Deadlines for Submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Students should submit their FAFSA early. For priority consideration, apply by March 15th of each year. Awards offered to students meeting the priority deadline and determined eligible, may receive the North Carolina Student Incentive Grant or the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant or both in addition to the federal Pell Grant.

Return to Top of Page

Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant Program

Federal Pell Grants are awards which assist undergraduates in paying for their education after they complete high school or earn a GED. The Federal Pell Grant program is the largest federal student aid program. For many students, these grants provide a foundation to which other federal grants and non-federal assistance may be added. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be paid back unless students do not complete the term of enrollment.

The amount of students’ Federal Pell Grant awards is calculated according to a federal formula which takes into consideration the family’s financial circumstances, the student cost of education, and the number of funds available for the program.

Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year, a student may only receive Pell Grants for a total of 12 equivalent full-time semesters, or until the student receives a bachelor’s degree - whichever comes first. Students are therefore advised to monitor their use of Pell Grant funding if they plan to pursue a four-year degree.

Beginning with the 2017-2018 academic year, an eligible student may now receive full Federal Pell Grant for summer 2018 even if they received a full Federal Pell Grant during the fall and spring semesters. Year-round Pell allows students to receive up to 150 percent of a regular grant award over the course of the academic year so that they can continue taking classes in the summer and finish their degrees faster than they would otherwise.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Program

Students who receive the Federal Pell Grant may also be eligible for the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. This federal grant program does not require repayment unless students do not complete the terms and conditions of the award. The amount of the grant is based on student financial need, and the minimum award is $100 per semester.* To be considered for FSEOG, students should apply as soon after January 1 as possible. FSEOG is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need, that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Limited assistance is available from the program to eligible students.
*Funding is subject to change each July 1, pending legislative ruling.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for eligible students to earn money to help pay college expense while attending classes at least part-time. Students participating in the program are employed in the library, laboratories, administrative and faculty offices, and various departments of the college. Funds for these student jobs are provided by the federal government through its college work-study program. On average, students work approximately 10 to 15 hours per week, earning $7.00 per hour.* Students’ primary focus should be their academic achievement; therefore, they should consider carefully whether their academic responsibilities permit them to assume the obligations of part-time work. If students accept campus employment, they are expected to fulfill the requirements of the job. Students are required to apply for employment through the Financial Aid Office.
*Funding is subject to change each July 1, pending legislative ruling.

Federal Direct Loan Program

ECC participates in the William D. Ford Direct Loan program to provide student and parent borrowers with funding for federal education loans received directly from the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Direct Loan Program are low-interest loans to help eligible students cover the costs of higher education at ECC. Direct Stafford Loans include:

Direct Subsidized Loans are based on financial need. Such loans are charged interest while enrolled at least half-time or during grace periods and deferment periods.

Beginning July 1st, 2013, the length of time students may access Subsidized Stafford Loans is limited to new borrowers. Students cannot borrow more than 150% of their program length. For example, students who enroll in a two-year degree program, you can only borrow loans for three years total. After that, students may only borrow

Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Students may borrow up to $3,500 for the first year and up to $4,500 per year for second-year status. Direct Unsubsidized Loans are not based on financial need. ECC determines how much you can borrow. Interest accrues (accumulates) on loan from the time it is first paid out. Interest is charged while enrolled and during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods - or you can allow it to accrue and be capitalized (added to the principal amount of your loan). Students may borrow up to $6000. Dependent students may borrow only $2000. 

North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG) Program

For students to be eligible for need-based aid under this program, they must meet the following criteria: (1) be admitted to an eligible program of study, (2) have applied for federal aid, (3) meet academic requirements to maintain federal aid eligibility, and (4) meet other criteria as may be required by the program. This award may be given in addition to the Federal Pell Grant if students are eligible. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 hours to be eligible.

North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship

For students to be eligible for need-based aid under this program, they must meet the following criteria: (1) be admitted to an eligible program of study, (2) have applied for federal aid, (3) meet academic requirements to maintain federal aid eligibility, (4) meet other criteria as required by the program (5) be a NC resident and be enrolled at least 6 credit hours. This award may be given in addition to the Federal Pell Grant if students are eligible.

North Carolina Nurse Scholarship Program (NESLP)

This scholarship program was created to work in combination with existing financial aid resources to encourage enrollment and retention of qualified nurse education students. Funds for NESLP are allocated by N.C. General Assembly among colleges and universities which offer nurse education programs. NESLP awards are available for the licensed practical nurse (LPN) and registered nurse (RN) education. Applicants must complete the FAFSA as soon after January 1 as possible to be considered for NESLP.

North Carolina Targeted Assistance Program

This program provides funding for students enrolled in or intending to enroll in high demand/low enrollment programs. Students are required to file the FAFSA. Aid is given to students who demonstrate need and meet eligibility requirements.

Return to Top of Page


ECC Foundation Scholarships

The college offers numerous private scholarships each year, totaling more than $100,000 awarded annually. Requirements for scholarships vary; however, the primary criteria include financial need, scholastic ability, and specified program of study, residency status, and participation in community activities. To apply for scholarships, students must obtain application forms from the college’s Financial Aid Office. Application forms indicating the scholarships for which students are eligible must be returned to that office by the announced deadline. Incomplete applications are not considered. Most scholarships are awarded during the fall months, and the first award payments are made during the fall semester. Students should see the Financial Aid Office for the deadlines. Listed below are the scholarships available to eligible applicants as of publication of this catalog.

NC Veterans’ Scholarship

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs offers scholarship assistance to North Carolina children of deceased or disabled veterans or of certain veterans who were listed in a POW/MIA status. Eligible students should write to N.C. Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Raleigh, N.C., for information or contact the Veteran’s Affairs counselor for more details.

Return to Top of Page

Other Sources of Assistance

Workforce Investment Act (WIA) System

ECC offers training under the WIA system. The program is specially designed for individuals who require skills training for employment. All individuals enrolled in the WIA program must qualify under program guidelines.

Services provided by the WIA program may include financial assistance with tuition, fees, books, equipment, and supplies, as well as personal services such as counseling, job development, job coaching, and follow-up assistance. Participants are required to follow strict program guidelines and regulations.

Applicants should contact the WIA office located at:
101 Tarboro Street, Rocky Mount, NC 27801
Phone: (252) 977-3292 or (800) 852-5130

Veterans’ Educational Assistance

  1. Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35 of Title 38) entitles dependents of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability or who has a total disability arising from a service-connected disability to receive benefits from the Veterans Administration.
  2. The Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Act under Chapter 32, Title 38, provides educational assistance for veterans who saved money to be matched. The program is for veterans who entered the military service on or after January 1, 1977.
  3. The Selected Reserve Educational Program, Chapter 1606, provides educational assistance for service in the Selected Reserve.
  4. Chapter 30, also known as the Montgomery G.I. Bill, covers those persons who entered active duty after June 30, 1985. GED preparation is not covered under Chapter 30.

Students initiate proceedings by contacting their local Veterans’ Affairs office. The Student Services Department is the clearinghouse on campus for veterans’ affairs.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Many states offer educational assistance to students who have a significant disability. North Carolina students should contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Division of the Department of Health and Human Services; Raleigh, N.C. Students from other states should contact their local Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.

ECC Emergency Loan Program

This program provides short-term loans to students who need assistance with the cost of tuition/fees. Loans must be repaid before the end of the term in which they were received. Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA first.

Notification of Award Decisions

Students are notified of financial aid award decisions for the academic year once the financial aid file is complete. All notifications are emailed and available on Self Service unless the student has “opted in” to receiving paper notifications. To ensure prompt processing of the financial aid application, students must complete the FAFSA early and turn in all required paperwork to the ECC Financial Aid Office.

Payment Schedules

Students who have received financial aid award letters and have funds remaining after tuition and fees, books and supplies, and other charges have been deducted receive a refund check. Payment schedules are posted on ECC’s Financial Aid webpage.

Return to Top of Page

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy Statement

Federal regulations require students to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards the completion of an eligible degree, diploma or certificate programs. This policy applies to Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), and Federal Direct Student Loans (Subsidized, and Unsubsidized). Also, the SAP policy applies to the North Carolina State Grant program as well.

The SAP is reviewed at the end of each semester to determine financial aid eligibility for the next semester of enrollment. All hours previously attempted are considered in determining SAP; therefore a student’s complete academic history is reviewed even if the student did not previously receive financial aid. Students who have never received financial aid may be placed on financial aid warning based on having a Cumulative GPA below a 2.0, or having completed less than 67% of the hours previously attempted. Students who have attempted more than 150 % of the hours required to complete their current active, academic program go into a Suspension status.

Transfer students are required to submit official transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges, regardless of whether or not they have received financial aid. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Edgecombe Community College Office of Admissions. Unofficial transcripts are not accepted.

Satisfactory Progress Policy for Veterans

The Veterans Administration regulations require that veterans maintain satisfactory progress to continue receiving their educational benefits. The following is a detailed description of the college’s policy concerning satisfactory progress for veterans.

  1. All students are required to have a minimum of two-point-zero (2.0) averages for graduation.
  2. When veterans fail to maintain a two-point-zero (2.0) grade point average (GPA), they are placed on academic probation for the following semester of enrollment.
  3. At the end of a two-semester probationary period, veterans who do not have a two-point-zero (2.0) cumulative grade point average (CGPA), counting all subjects undertaken from the original enrollment, or who have withdrawn during their probationary period, have their benefits terminated for unsatisfactory progress. Veterans who have their benefits terminated for unsatisfactory progress must raise their average to the minimum required for graduation before being recertified for educational benefits.

SAP Definitions

Satisfactory: Student is eligible for financial aid if all other financial aid eligibility criteria are met.

Warning: Student remains eligible for financial aid; however, the student must meet the SAP requirements at the conclusion of the next term of enrollment. Failure to do so will result in the student being placed in suspension status. Probation: Student was suspended from financial aid, has submitted an appeal, and the appeal has been approved. The student is conditionally eligible for another semester of financial aid. Any specific conditions in addition to the student making SAP at the end of the probationary semester are noted in the probationary communication to the student. Failure to meet probationary requirements will result in the student being placed on Financial Aid Suspension once again.

Suspension: Student is not eligible to receive federal student aid or state grant assistance. The student must fund his education without the benefit of federal student aid or state grant assistance.

SAP Requirements

Students are encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor to ensure they are meeting program requirements.

  1. Qualitative Standard - Cumulative Grade Point Average
    A student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of a 2.0. Grades for repeated courses are included in the GPA calculation for SAP. Grades received in remedial courses are included in the cumulative GPA calculation.
  2. Quantitative Standard - Pace of Progression
    Students must complete a minimum of 67% of the hours they attempt at ECC as outlined in the chart below. Grades of F, I, U, W, WF, AU, NS, IP, and R do not count toward the minimum credit completion requirement. Students who fail or withdraw from a class may repeat the class and receive financial aid, if, they are considered to be making SAP. Students who pass a course (A, B, C, D) and wish to take it again may do so one time and receive financial aid to help pay for the class. If students take a previously “passed” class for the third time, they will be denied financial aid for that specific class. Remedial courses are counted in the pace of progression at ECC. It is important to minimize the number of times a student repeats a course so as not to be suspended for falling below a 67% pace of progression.

Below are examples of the minimum pace of progression necessary to maintain SAP:

Cumulative Credit Hours
Taken at ECC
  Greater than 67%
Pace of Progression
  3 credit hours   2 or more credit hours
  6 credit hours   4 or more credit hours
12 credit hours   8 or more credit hours
24 credit hours 16 or more credit hours
48 credit hours 32 or more credit hours
72 credit hours 48 or more credit hours
90 credit hours 60 or more credit hours
  1. Maximum Time Frame for Completion of a Degree, Diploma, or Certificate (150% Rule)
    The maximum time frame for completion of an academic program is measured by the total number of credit hours a student has attempted at ECC plus all transferred hours accepted from other schools. Credit hours attempted at ECC, but not completed, are always counted per Federal Regulations; all credit hours are included regardless of whether or not financial aid was received during the time the credits were taken. Hours for repeated courses are always counted. The maximum number of credit hours cannot exceed 150% of the credit hours required for the academic program that the student is pursuing. This is referred to as the 150% rule. Once 150% of the credit hours are reached the students are suspended. A student should work with an academic advisor to ensure that he is on track to complete a program. A student should avoid repeating courses if at all possible. Changing academic programs may require a student to take additional hours and exceed the 150% threshold; however, a student can appeal to the Financial Aid Office to make an allowance for the additional hours required to complete the new academic program.

Application of SAP Requirements

Below are the criteria used by ECC to determine SAP status:

This Semester Cumulative GPA at the end of Semester Next Semester
Satisfactory 2.0 or greater AND 67% or greater Good
Satisfactory 2.0 or greater BUT Less than 67% Warning
Satisfactory Less than a 2.0 BUT 67% or greater Warning
Warning 2.0 or greater BUT Less than 67% Suspended
Warning Less than a 2.0 BUT 67% or greater Suspended
Probation Less than a 2.0 BUT 67% or greater Suspended
  • Students who drop or withdraw from all courses for a semester, or receive any combination of F’s, W’s, WF’s, I’s, U’s and R’s are automatically placed on financial aid WARNING and may be required to return all or a portion of the financial aid they received.
  • Students who have reached the maximum number of credit hours allowed to complete an academic program (150% rule) are also placed in suspension status. The maximum number of credit hours (150% rule) is evaluated on previous enrollment, even if the students did not receive financial aid for all hours attempted. Once 150% of the allowable credit hours are reached, the student becomes ineligible for additional financial assistance.
  • The SAP is reviewed at the end of each semester to determine financial aid eligibility for the next semester of enrollment.

Regaining Eligibility After Being Suspended

Students who are suspended from financial aid may appeal their status. Students who do not appeal, but wish to continue at ECC do so at their own expense. Students must bring their cumulative GPA above 2.0 or complete successfully the number of hours required to achieve a minimum of 67% to regain financial aid eligibility. Students who have exceeded the maximum number of credit hours (the 150% rule) must complete the degree without receiving additional financial assistance unless circumstances warrant an increase in the number of hours allowed.

SAP Appeals

SAP appeal forms are available in the Office of Student Financial Aid, submitted with email as an attachment, and can be downloaded from the Financial Aid Homepage. Appeals are evaluated by the Financial Aid Office, and notification of the decision is sent within ten working days of the receipt of the appeal. The SAP appeal decision is sent electronically to the student’s ECC email address or in writing to the address on file with ECC. The decision made by the financial aid office is final.

Students are expected to monitor their SAP and consult with the Office of Student Financial Aid when there are questions or concerns. The office provides written or electronic notice to students when students are on financial aid warning or when they are suspended. It is imperative that students keep their mailing and email addresses updated with ECC and check their ECC student email on a regular basis.

SAP Website

The Office of Student Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress policy on the Financial Aid Homepage is typically the most up-to-date policy information available. SAP policy, procedures, and appeal forms will be printed out for students upon request.

Return to Top of Page

Second Degrees, Diplomas, or Certificates

A student enrolled in a second (not concurrent) academic program is limited to receiving financial aid for the specific courses required to complete the second academic program as determined by an ECC Academic Advisor and documented by an official ECC Advisement Plan. Before meeting with an Academic Advisor, students must submit ALL official academic transcripts from ALL previously attended institutions. Official transcripts from ALL previously attended postsecondary institutions (not high schools) must be submitted to the Office of Admission. A student seeking a second academic credential will be placed on “Restricted Hours,” which requires meeting with an academic advisor and submitting a new program form to the financial aid office. Students who have already acquired a Bachelor’s degree may be eligible for loans but will not qualify for North Carolina State Funding, Federal Pell Grant, or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) per Federal Regulation. A student with a previous Bachelor’s Degree may receive financial aid at ECC for classes that are not repeats of the general education credits earned while completing the Bachelor’s Degree. Once students have been approved and they are receiving financial assistance related to the completion of the second degree they may not change degree plans to receive additional financial assistance. Students who do not follow the second-degree plan will become ineligible for continued assistance unless there are mitigating circumstances. Students are allowed to complete two academic programs and receive federal student assistance.

Treatment of Remedial (Developmental) Courses

As previously referenced, remedial or developmental credit hours (classes numbered below 100) are counted towards a student’s 67% pace of progression. The courses also count relative to the 150% rule.

Retaking Coursework

The regulatory definition for full-time enrollment status (for undergraduates) has been revised to allow a student to retake any previously passed course one time only. For this purpose, passed means any grade higher than an “F.” This retaken class may be counted towards a student’s enrollment status, and the student may be awarded federal student aid for the enrollment status based on the inclusion of the class. A student may be paid more than twice for repeatedly failing the same course (the SAP policy still applies to such cases). However, if a student passed a class once he can be paid again for retaking the class once. Regardless of the grade achieved the student may not be paid for retaking the class a third time.

Return to Top of Page