Jul 08, 2020  
2015-2016 Student Handbook 
2015-2016 Student Handbook [ARCHIVED PUBLICATION]

How To …

Change A Major

All students must get a “Change of Major Form” from the Student Services Department. The current advisor and new advisor sign the form, and students can submit the completed form to the Student Services Department for the official change. A counselor assists with registration for the first semester under the new major; the faculty advisor is responsible for future scheduling.

Students are strongly advised to see a counselor before changing their program of study. Changes made during registration will be effective immediately. Changes made during early registration and after classes begin will not be effective until the next semester. The changes do not become effective until this form is completed and returned to Student Services, and Student Services staff have approved the changes and entered the information into the computer.

Request A Transcript

Students must submit in writing to the Registrar a request for release of their transcript. The college charges $1.00 per copy for the transcript.

Get A Class Schedule

After the first semester of enrollment, students should see their academic advisor to secure a schedule for the following semesters. Advisors can be contacted by phone, email, or in person. Advisors’ office hours are posted on the office doors.

Get An ID Card

All students must have an ID card while on campus. ID cards are made in the Student Services Department at various times scheduled each semester. Students should contact the Student Services Department if they need an ID card or replacement. ID cards are free for the initial picture and $5.00 for a replacement.

Get A Parking Sticker

Parking stickers are issued from the Bookstore on both campuses. Parking stickers should be displayed on all vehicles.

Locate Lost and Found Items

Generally, the main reception area in each building and the Student Services Department maintain lost and found items. If students lose an item, they should report the loss to the Student Services Department.

Get Photocopies

The libraries on both campuses provide photocopying for a nominal fee.

Change An Address/Phone Number

All students should maintain a current address and phone number in their records. Students should contact the Student Services Department to change their address and phone number.

Withdraw From A Class or Classes

Students wishing to withdraw from a class or classes must complete an official withdrawal form located in the Student Services Department. All instructors from the class (es) the student is withdrawing from must sign this form, along with the student’s advisor. The form is to be returned to the Student Services Department. Withdrawal is effective on the date the college receives the form.

Drop/Add Classes

To make class adjustments (drop/adds or section changes), students must see their advisor. These changes must be made during the first five days of the fall or spring semesters and during the first three days of the summer semester.

Get A College ID Number

This number is assigned to all students during the admissions process. All students should remember their ID number, for it is used for all transactions at the college. Student ID numbers or other confidential student information cannot be given out over the telephone. The Student ID number is also displayed on the student registration form.

Get A Tutor

Students should contact the Student Support Specialist for individual and/or group tutoring.

Apply For Graduation

All students must apply for graduation at the beginning of their final semester. Students must meet with their advisor and complete the application process and exit evaluation. Graduates are notified that they have completed all requirements and sent appropriate information for graduation.

Transfer Credits

Into the College

The college allows transfer credit for students from other recognized and regionally accredited post-secondary institutions, provided that certain conditions are met:

  1. The course is required for graduation at the college.
  2. The course was passed with a “C” or better.*
  3. The course closely parallels the content of that which it replaces at the college.

*Credits that transfer to the college are not included in students’ overall grade point averages.

The college may grant credit where applicable for military service schools in accordance with the recommendations of the American Council on Education’s Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services when consistent with students’ program requirements. The college does not allow credit for experiential learning.

Transfer credit is awarded only upon approval by the department head. Applications for transfer credit are handled on an individual basis. Once an evaluation is completed, the Registrar sends a copy to the student, and one is kept in the academic file in Student Services. Advisors can view transfer credits on students in the Colleague file.

Between Programs at the College

Credit for subjects earned with a grade of “D” or better at the college is accepted in cases when students transfer from one curriculum to another within the college. Courses transferred must be comparable in content and contact hours to the courses for which credit is given. Transfer of credits from one curriculum to another is granted under the following conditions:

  1. The course(s) is/are required for graduation in both programs.
  2. Those credit hours designated “elective” in the major curriculum may be transferred from one curriculum area to another; this policy applies only to the number of credit hours designated as elective hours in those curriculum areas into which students transfer.
  3. When students re-enter a curriculum in which they have been previously enrolled, all previous grades earned (including “F”s) in that curriculum are included in the cumulative grade point average at the time of re-entry.
  4. Corporate and Community Development courses may be transferrable to curriculum programs pending approval of the Vice President of Instruction.
  5. The Nursing Program has separate policies for transfer of courses between programs.

Incomplete Grades

A grade of “I” may be awarded only when students have not completed the requirements of a course. If a grade of “I” is not removed within the following semester, the “I” grade is automatically changed by the Registrar to a grade of “F.”

At the time a grade of “I” is awarded, the instructor completes a “Notice of Requirements for Removal of an ‘Incomplete’ Form”. That form includes the following information:

  1. Specific requirements for the completion of the course.
  2. The student’s grade standing at the time the “I” grade is awarded.
  3. The time period allowed by the instructor for the completion of the course.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor concerning the removal of an “I” grade. The form for the removal of incompletes is approved by the appropriate instructor and the Vice President of Instruction. No additional tuition is paid when the “I” grade is replaced with a permanent grade.

Report an Emergency

  1. Going to the nearest campus phone and dialing 0 in Tarboro or 320 in Rocky Mount to get the receptionist if any of the following occur:
    1. They see a suspicious person.
    2. They see or have contact with someone behaving in a threatening or unusual manner.
    3. They see people fighting.
    4. They see someone, other than a uniformed law enforcement officer, with a weapon.
    5. Their instincts tell them something is wrong.